Shop these single barrel buys at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, Sept. 13-15

I was asked to pick a few favorites for Bourbon & Banter readers who will be attending this sold-out event. The list below is not in order of picks liked best, rather it partially reflects the order in which we visited distilleries to taste them.

Shop these single barrel buys at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, Sept. 13-15

Since 2020, I’ve served as the director of content and programming for the Kentucky Bourbon Festival (KYBF). That long-winded title means I create Premium Events (ticketed classes for rare spirits tastings, blending exercises and cocktail classes) and host The Bourbon:30 Show, 30-minute lively “Tonight Show”-like panel discussions on the event’s main stage.

It also means I’m on the crew that picks single barrels for the event, one-off bottles that are sold on the festival grounds directly from distillers’ booths. That doesn’t happen anywhere else in the country, which is one of many reasons why this event and our Distillers’ Row barrel program is so cool.

When the KYBF launched the single barrel program in 2021, I believe we chose 13 barrels. In 2022, it was about 20 barrels. This year the total more than doubled to 45 single barrels. That’s right: 45 single barrels chosen from 36 distilleries and non-distilling producers. To do that, I drove 2,700 miles just in Kentucky, and I missed a few selection days. Stacy Pritchard, KYBF vice president of distillery relations, hit them all and surely logged closer to 3,200 miles.

It was a lot of tasting, spitting and driving, and we often hit that point at which we thought, “Not another pick!” only to say on arrival, “This sure beats a day in the office. Let’s go!” Time consuming, to be sure, but a lot of fun.

I was asked to pick a few favorites for Bourbon & Banter readers who will be attending this sold-out event. The list below is not in order of picks liked best, rather it partially reflects the order in which we visited distilleries to taste them. Yes, it’s the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, but we allow distilleries to offer us rye if they choose. We pick ‘em and they sell ‘em. That’s how it works.

Why 11 choices? Everyone does top 10 lists, so why not turn it up to 11 for the Kentucky Bourbon Festival? Following are details and tasting notes, but no prices. Those will be revealed at the event.

Pursuit Spirits “Tobacco Char” Bourbon

The nose delivers a mix of ripe and tart apples, lemon pound cake, baking spice and oak. On the palate it’s nicely balanced between oak, cedar, apple pie and baked wheat bread. The finish is pleasant, short and soft. A well-balanced bourbon overall.

Mashbill: A four-barrel mingling of three bourbons whose mashbills were comprised of two rye bourbons (Bardstown Bourbon Co. [72% corn, 18% rye, 12% barley] and (Tennessee Distilling Ltd. [80% corn, 10% rye, 10% barley] and one wheated bourbon (Finger Lakes Distilling [70% corn, 20% wheat, 10% barley]).

Age: 4-, 5- and 6-year-old barrels

Estimated proof: 108

*Bonus note: Owners Kenny Coleman and Ryan Cecil have become terrific self-taught blenders. This mingling demonstrates their skills.

Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co. Town Branch Bourbon

The nose leads with butterscotch, warmed milk chocolate, cinnamon butter and burnt orange. The palate follows with mincemeat, dried dates, Demerara syrup, cinnamon toast and fruit cake. The finish is warm and easy.

Mashbill: 72% corn, 13% rye and 15% malted barley

Age: 7 years

Estimated proof: 111.5

*Bonus note: Anyone had early releases of Town Branch Bourbon and swore it off? I did, and I wasn’t thrilled about doing this pick. But I was like others in our group who were incredibly surprised by this pick. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Angel’s Envy Single Barrel Bourbon, Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish

The nose balances classic bourbon notes of oak and caramel with sherry aromas of golden raisin, spring flowers and walnuts. The palate is syrupy and viscous, layered with accents from each cask: golden raisin and walnuts leading then handing off to citrus, oak, buttered toast and hot toddy. The finish is warm, lengthy and luxuriant, leaving a trail of honey and warm tea in its wake.

Mashbill: Not disclosed

Age: 5-7 years

Estimated proof: 116

*Bonus note: When I learned we’d be picking a bourbon finished in an Oloroso sherry cask, I wasn’t happy. I’ve never been a fan of those barrels … until this one. One thing that made a profound difference was the long rest—17 months—this bourbon had in that cask. Master distiller Owen Martin has done nothing but impress me since taking that post two years ago.

Bardstown Bourbon Co. Origin Series Rye, Single Barrel

The nose is so awash in floral and herbal notes that one momentarily forgets about sipping it. Notes of dried cherry and cherry hard candy are abundant: that's what happens after 16 months of finishing time in a custom oak and cherry wood hybrid barrel. (For comparison, the standard Origin Series Rye finishes for 6 months in this custom barrel.) The palate mirrors the nose: floral and herbal with candied fruit. A second sip serves up dark rye bread and dark cacao nibs.

Mashbill: 95% rye, 5% malted barley

Age: 6 years, 6 months

Estimated proof: 117.6

*Bonus note: When we picked this barrel, a tour group came through the barrel room while our barrel was being signed. When people realized what we were doing, our pick leader asked if we could let them have a taste of our barrel. Glasses were grabbed, the barrel was thieved, and it was party on for about 10 minutes. It was an only-in-Kentucky moment that clearly made those visitors’ trip.

Old Forester Barrel Strength Single Barrel

The nose is powerful and leads with classic Old Forester aromas of tropical fruit, ripe berries, cooked stone fruit, charred oak and dark chocolate. On the palate, this high-proof pour is mighty spicy with rye, baking spice, white pepper and milk chocolate battling for attention across the palate. A drop or two of water creates a slightly syrupy texture and a honeyed note.

Mashbill: 72% corn, 18% rye, 10% malted barley

Age: 4.5 years old

Estimated proof: 128.8

*Bonus note: Some of these Old Fo’ single barrels come off hot-hot due to their youth, but not this one. Powerful as expected, but mannerly and rich.

Lawrenceburg Bourbon Co. High Wheat Rye Whiskey

The nose is powerful and bright with citrus peel, spring flowers, confectioner’s sugar and baked bread. The palate is similarly fruity and wonderfully busy and buttressed with lemon pound cake, milk chocolate and old oak.

Mashbill: 65% rye, 35% wheat

Age: 7.5 years old

Estimated proof: 122

*Bonus note: As we finished picking a barrel of bourbon that day, we rose from our seats and prepared to leave. But the Lawrenceburg team came toward us with flight boards featuring four rye tastes. When they asked, “Would you like to pick a barrel of rye, too?” we happily did our duty. And this high-wheat rye is amazing!

Preservation Distillery + Farm Pot Distilled Single Barrel Bourbon

The nose of this pot-distilled bourbon begins with toffee, fresh-cut lumber, dark roasted coffee, dried stone fruits and baked pastries. On the palate, there is toasted oak, toffee, baked green apples, clover honey, roasted corn and toasted oak.

Mashbill: Undisclosed wheated bourbon mashbill

Age: 6.5 years old

Estimated proof: 115

*Bonus note: This will be the first release of Preservation’s own whiskey distilled in Bardstown. Owner Marci Palatella built the brand sourcing historic barrels for her Olde St. Nick line, and blended older but contemporary whiskies to create other lines. This bourbon is big, rich, fruity and powerful; a terrific pour.

Whiskey Thief Distilling Co. Single Barrel Bourbon

The nose leads with honeysuckle and hibiscus flowers before leaning into baked pie crust. On the palate its proof steps in with potency. Stone fruit, pekoe tea and dark honey round out its semi-dark flavors and leave the drinker with a long, warm finish.

Mashbill: 75% corn, 21% rye, 4% malted barley

Age: 6 years

Estimated proof: 129

*Bonus note: Part of what makes barrel picks unique is choosing at the site in a rickhouse. The smallish rickhouse at WTDC was open at both ends when we picked our barrel this year, and being surrounded by barrels with a constant and cool morning breeze was a scene setter. All of us were truly surprised by the quality and depth of flavor in this whiskey.

Old Louisville Distilling Co. Single Barrel Bourbon

With such a high-rye mashbill, it’s no surprise that spice leads the way on the nose. Milk chocolate, figs and dates follow in step with whiffs of fire-cured tobacco. The palate is ripe with dark stone fruits, chocolate and Demerara syrup. This bourbon’s lower-than-entry proof also delivers a rich and viscous mouthfeel. The finish is long, warm and soothing.

Mashbill: 60% corn, 36 rye, 4% malted barley

Age: 9 years

Estimated proof: 111

*Bonus note: This pick was one of the few that I missed, and it was a doozy. My sample bottle is nearly drained. Amine Karaoud’s knack for sniffing out good MGP barrels is on display in this pick. Just delicious!

Four Roses Bourbon Private Selection Barrel Strength Bourbon

The nose brings a rich bouquet of baking spice, orange peel, milk chocolate and cherry, while the palate is velvety, laced with nougat, cooked red fruits, dried flowers and deep, dark oak. Sturdy and bold sipped neat and surely a decadent cocktail bourbon.

Mashbill: OBSV 65% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

Age: 9 years, 7 months

Estimated proof: Not determined when the barrel was picked

*Bonus note: Four Roses’ Private Selections are some of the most fun single barrel picks anywhere because you choose from all 10 recipes. Compared to the usual three-barrel choices you get, this is a longer, studied pick in which multiple rounds of elimination are required to whittle those 10 down to one. And it never hurts when master distiller Brent Elliott shows up to lead the pick.

Western Kentucky Distilling Hemingway Rye Whiskey

The nose delivers mint, baking spice and oak. Those notes are echoed on the palate along with Thin Mint cookie, pancake syrup and baked red apple.

Mashbill: 95% rye and 5% malted barley mashbills from MGPI rye (90%) with Green River rye (10%) that was rested four months in a rum-seasoned Oloroso sherry barrel.

Age: 7 years

Estimated proof: 110

*Bonus note: Don’t let my short list of descriptors fool you. This is a great pour of rye worthy of all the time you give it. Master distiller Jacob Call’s superb blending skills are on display here.