Old Forester 2024 Birthday Bourbon Review

On the nose, there is every classic Old Forester aroma: a little acetone and banana, citrus peel and deeply charred oak. Juicy Fruit Gum is all over this, as are surprises like a chocolate-coated cream-filled donut, candy bar (nougat and milk chocolate), nutmeg and cocoa powder.

Old Forester 2024 Birthday Bourbon Review

BOTTLE DETAILS

  • DISTILLER: Old Forester Distilling Co.
  • MASH BILL: 72% Corn | 18% Rye | 10% Malted Barley
  • AGE: 12 years
  • YEAR: 2024
  • PROOF: 107 (53.5% ABV)
  • MSRP: $199
  • BUY ONLINE: There are no online sales. All sales through Old Forester were made through a nationwide sweepstakes that ended in August and required buyers to come to the distillery for their bottles.

STEVE'S NOTES

SHARE WITH: Serious bourbon fans who will appreciate this big, complex and well-aged whiskey.

WORTH THE PRICE: Yep. It's rare-splurge-worthy.

BOTTLE, BAR OR BUST: Bottle if you can find it. Bar if you can't.

OVERALL: Birthday releases have been hit or miss, but I'm always excited to try the next iteration and hope for a hit. This is precisely that: a full-on wallop of aromas, flavors, character, texture and undeniable Old Fo' DNA.

On the nose, there is every classic Old Forester aroma: a little acetone and banana, citrus peel and deeply charred oak. Juicy Fruit Gum is all over this, as are surprises like a chocolate-coated cream-filled donut, candy bar (nougat and milk chocolate), nutmeg and cocoa powder.

This is a complete wow on the palate: big, dark, brooding, coating and warm. The first sip seemed a little hot for 107 proof, but every sip afterward was warming, weighty, cozy and satisfying. I rarely consider situations in which a whiskey "puts" me for optimal sipping, but this goes straight to a roaring campfire on a cold night. That said, I'm happily enjoying it in September in the boring confines of my air-conditioned office. This bourbon is the (pricey) gift that keeps giving ... tobacco, mincemeat, dried cherry, bitter chocolate, chocolate brownie and a touch of molasses. I could go on but won't, and I'm sure dear readers, you are pleased.

Bottom line: Get this if you can find it and justify the pirate's price. It's not only one of my favorite American whiskies for 2024, but it may well be my favorite Birthday Bourbon.

📙
Learn more about Old Forester Birthday Bourbon via our archives.

BRAND NOTES

Hand-selected by Master Distiller Emeritus Chris Morris and Master Taster Melissa Rift, with aid from Assistant Master Distiller Caleb Trigo, the liquid came from 209 total barrels.

"Twelve years of maturation in Warehouses G and L has produced a rich and unique flavor profile perfect for this sought-after annual release, " Trigo said.

  • Nose - A bright fruit medley with accents of apricot and apple are complemented by rich spice cake and buttercream icing with undertones of sweet tobacco and warm oak
  • Taste - Juicy fruits jump out on the front of the palate with toasted oak and warm cinnamon spice rounding out the flavor to follow
  • Finish - hints of caramel apple lead the finish with a long and flavorful mix of sweet tobacco, ground cinnamon and cacao

Disclaimer: Bourbon & Banter received a sample of this product from the brand for review. We appreciate their willingness to allow us to review their products with no strings attached. Thank you.