15 Stars First West Fine Aged Rye Whiskey Review

Its aromas begin with bright citrus, ripe fruit, a whiff of mint and some a solid serving of baking spice. Unexpectedly, toffee joins the party alongside maple syrup and caramelized brown sugar.

15 Stars First West Fine Aged Rye Whiskey Review

BOTTLE DETAILS

  • DISTILLER: Produced by 15 Stars but distilled in Kentucky, Indiana and Tennessee
  • MASH BILL: Not disclosed
  • AGE: 6 years, though blended with 7- and 9-year-old whiskeys
  • YEAR: 2023
  • PROOF: 105 (52.5% ABV)
  • MSRP: $89
  • BUY ONLINE: 15 Stars Online Store

STEVE'S NOTES

SHARE WITH: Any whiskey fan who might prefer a less spicy rye.

WORTH THE PRICE: Maybe.

BOTTLE, BAR OR BUST: Bar.

OVERALL: What does 15 Stars mean, you ask? It reflects the year 1795, when Kentucky's star was added onto the second U.S. flag. Why start with that? Because it was the first question that entered my mind when I saw the brand. The Michelin Guide's top-tier restaurants get three stars, and the U.S. Army's top brass bears five stars. So, admittedly, a 15-star award (incorrectly assumed by me) just seemed gratuitous, even garish. But since I was wrong, I figured I'd stop anyone from falling into such a dimwitted assumption.

Another label descriptor to clear up: "First West." Back in the late 18th Century, Kentucky lay furthest west on the American frontier, so it was called the First West. Figured that one needed describing also. Now, onto the real review.

Full disclosure: I've tasted this multiple times over several weeks, enjoying it one day and less so the next. I even began with a less-than-positive review when, on one particular day, all I tasted was meh. That boys and girls, is what happens when you live in the Ohio Valley, and seasonal allergies bludgeon your palate into frustrating numbness. Not trusting nose or palate, I tasted it once more–the next day at 9 a.m., when my palate is typically in good shape–and found it remarkably good and worthy of a rewritten and terrific review.

Its aromas begin with bright citrus, ripe fruit, a whiff of mint and a solid serving of baking spice. Unexpectedly, toffee joins the party alongside maple syrup and caramelized brown sugar.

On the palate it's easy drinking yet vibrant in texture, arguably a perfect neat drinker at 105 proof. It is deliciously honeyed and practically buzzes with herbal and citrus notes. The finish is candied and floral, long-lasting and pleasantly soft.

My "Maybe" in regard to the $89 price remains. While this is a truly fine rye blend, one I'd pour for any rye fan or friend, there are less expensive competitors out there that deliver the same complexity and flavor for less. But if you were buying this just for the truly delicious drinking experience it delivers, $89 could, arguably, be worth it.

BRAND NOTES

NOSE: Sweet fruit aromas of ripe pear, golden raisin, orange peel, and honey emerge boldly, balanced by a spice blend including cinnamon and nutmeg.

PALATE: The candied fruit notes from the nose remain and are joined by herbal spice and almond to form a round and full palate.

FINISH: The sip comes to an end with pleasant flavors of kumquat, almond, and lasting toasted oak.

Disclaimer: Bourbon & Banter received a sample of this product from the brand for review. We appreciate their willingness to allow us to review their products with no strings attached. Thank you.