Russell's Reserve 15 Year Old Bourbon Review

The nose is brooding and dark with a crispy foundation of chocolaty barrel char slathered in notes of dark berry jam, orange marmalade, and overcooked caramel. It's one of the more intense Wild Turkey noses I've experienced.

Russell's Reserve 15 Year Old Bourbon Review

BOTTLE DETAILS

DREW'S NOTES

SHARE WITH: Russell's Reserve super fans. The multitudes who missed out on the lottery for this release. Patient bourbon drinkers not afraid of a nuanced pour.

WORTH THE PRICE: I suppose we're all getting used to Russell's Reserve releases in the $200+ range. If it wasn't painfully obvious already, this price point is here to stay for limited editions in this range. I say this grumpily as someone who, not too long ago, advocated for dropping a car payment on Wild Turkey Generations. In my defense, that bottle will probably never be seen again. This one is sure to see an annual release. I'm not sure most collectors or enthusiasts can stomach this outlay every year, but I know plenty of Wild Turkey fans who will be happy to own at least one of these at some point.

BOTTLE, BAR OR BUST: Bottle and bar. Bar for those on a budget who, as good as it is, should taste this before investing in a whole bottle. It's a departure in profile, even from the 13 Year, so buyer beware. Bottle for those who have to have the "it" bourbon of the summer (and maybe fall, too). If you've got the coin to pick this one up (at a likely generous secondary markup), you'll have a damn fine bourbon on the shelf, even if it might take a little special handling to unwind.

OVERALL: Once upon a time, we were running out of bourbon—so much so that age statements were dropping right and left. How times have changed? It's no longer unusual to see a 15-year-old (or older) age statement, and with the runaway success of their 13-year offering, it was only a matter of time before we saw an even older bourbon from the Russell crew.

It's well-known that the Wild Turkey paterfamilias and Buddha of Bourbon himself, Jimmy Russell, isn't a huge fan of bourbons aged more than ten years. But the younger Russells love the stuff. They played around with older bourbon in the 1998 and 2002 special releases, but those were pretty small. The 13-year proved they could deliver exceptional, extra-aged bourbon at scale, but now they're doubling down with an even older offering. And it may just be the boldest, spiciest, fruitiest thing yet to come out of Wild Turkey.

The nose is brooding and dark with a crispy foundation of chocolaty barrel char slathered in notes of dark berry jam, orange marmalade, and overcooked caramel. It's one of the more intense Wild Turkey noses I've experienced. Those fruit notes only intensify as things open, but oak and old leather are never far behind.

On the palate, there's quite a bit of grip up front with burly tannins that, in concert with a ton of dark fruit, almost seem wine-driven. Notes of stewed blackberry and damson plum give way to prolific baking spice: clove syrup, Red Hots, and candied ginger. It's a bit punchy and overheated, especially on the midpalate where the oak and red pepper threaten to dominate, but like clockwork things dial in perfectly on the finish, revealing a warm, elegant finale of sugary praline, coffee ice cream, and cherry cola.

This is yet another fantastic bourbon from Russell's, but I recommend you ease into it and be patient with it. After all, you paid a pretty penny for it.

BRAND NOTES

Russell’s Reserve 15 Year Old is a manifestation of Kentucky excellence and a true example of the impact of seasonality and time in crafting robust, extra-aged whiskies.

Meticulously crafted from select barrels handpicked by Bourbon Hall of Fame legend, Master Distiller Eddie Russell, this exceptional whiskey offers a layered and robust sipping experience, distinctly different from past releases.

With notes of intense vanilla and oak, and the signature earthiness that Russell’s Reserve is known for, this bourbon is non-chill filtered and bottled at barrel strength of 117.2 proof, with a long-lasting finish offering hints of dark cocoa, caramel, and smooth oak.

Disclaimer: Bourbon & Banter received a sample of this product from the brand for review. We appreciate their willingness to allow us to review their products with no strings attached. Thank you.